At Birchanger we recognise that the children missed a substantial period of their learning during the last academic year. In order to ensure the children recover this part of their education we have analysed the curriculum in relation to our long-term plans, and put in place a ‘recovery strategy’, effective from the beginning of this academic year. Our strategy includes:
- Rainbow Curriculum lessons to help those children who were unable to return in the summer term to understand the current situation and have a chance for discussion and questioning.
- a timetable of subject areas for catch-up focus across the year.
- gap analysis through assessment so that catch-up is targeted and interventions put in place for those who need it.
- a dedicated intervention programme for PPG children.
- recapping at the beginning of lessons to increase memory retention and revision/catch-up of previous learning.
- planned subject weeks, such as Enterprise Week, to recap on, and consolidate, missed learning.
- a class reading spine to ensure quality texts are being taught and shared in each class and any misses genres covered.
- any subject areas requiring sequential learning, such as computing or PSHE, are taught in a specific order.
Please click on the links below to view an outline timetable for our ‘Catch-Up Curriculum’ by year group.